Above all, do not lose your desire to walk. Every day I walk myself into a state of well-being and walk away from every illness. I have walked myself into my best thoughts, and I know of no thought so burdensome that one cannot walk away from it. --Soren Kierkegaard
Ten good reasons to walk, by Wendy Bumgardner. Live longer, lose weight, prevent diabetes, and more. "When you have worn out your shoes, the strength of the shoe leather has passed into the fiber of your body. I measure your health by the number of shoes and hats and clothes you have worn out". --Ralph Waldo Emerson
And there's also
1. Time to think. "Thoughts come clearly while one walks". --Thomas Mann
2. Savings in time and money: See the math here.
3. Carbon load reduction: Each gallon of gas used equals 19.5 lbs of carbon dioxide emissions according to US Department of Energy.
4. A chance to observe things you would otherwise never see. "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." --John Muir
5. Community building: chat up your neighbors, get to know your town.
See you 'round the block--