Did I mention (like, 300 times now) that I am an info junkie? Thanks to the web, I think my periodicals are currently down to less than 2 dozen subscriptions.
One of my favorites is the UK's New Scientist-- the weekly "People"-type magazine for geeks, full of byte-size articles one can peruse in those 5 minutes, say, between appointments. New Scientist was recently lovingly (!) parodied by cartoonist Stephen Collins in London's Guardian newspaper. I am sure they will let me know if I am violating any fair use by showing you the fab strip here:
|Did you know Starfish are the chief source of global warming?|
Right, the challenge.
In Vague Scientist Style, list a few sketchy headlines, give an abstract for an ersatz study, explain some phenomena ala Dr. Science (He Knows More Than You Do!), etc. You get the vague drift, eh?
And while you are at it, how about joining me in a PR blitz to bring New Scientist production editor Mick O'Hare to this part of the pond? He's got lots of books to sell full of fascinating scientific odditiy ponderings (see list below), and he's a really good guy and I owe him a present which I can't seem to get together to mail to the UK. So bring him here, and maybe while he's at it, he can explain to me exactly why those Kardashian woman are so famous. Now THERE's a mystery.
Titles worth perusal, edited by ex-rugby turned science reporter O'Hare, cut and pasted from that font of truthiness Wikepedia. These make great Groundhog day gifts.
- Does Anything Eat Wasps? and 101 Other Questions, translated into German language
- How to Fossilise Your Hamster: And Other Amazing Experiments for the Armchair Scientist
- Why Don't Penguins' Feet Freeze?: And 114 Other Questions
- The Last Word: Vol 1, Mick O'Hare, illustrated by Spike Gerrell
- The Last Word: More Questions and Answers on Everyday Science Vol 2, Mick O'Hare, illustrated by Spike Gerrell
- Do Polar Bears Get Lonely? And 101 Other Intriguing Science Questions
- How to Make a Tornado: The strange and wonderful things that happen when scientists break free
- Why Can't Elephants Jump? And 113 More Science Questions Answered
PR nudges could be sent to: The Person In Charge of Mick And His Schedule, c/o email@example.com
I lost at pinball tonight. Hey, all that shrieky lackering was very distracting. Cheer me up with some entries in the comment section, will ya?
Off to the salt mills,