Today baby January is today half grown, which means we are half way through the tiny resolutions. You can catch up on any you missed by going to janasvoboda.org. Playing catch up is fine. Using resolutions from other years is fine too. Every day is the start of a new year.
We're still in the dark and wet, so Thursday's a good day to make or read a poem. That's an easy enough resolution, eh?
Choose your own adventure. Write out a poem you already know and love and read it aloud. Bonus points for memorizing or for sharing with a friend. More bonus points for hiding it somewhere in hopes of it finding the right person.
Many years ago I was the poetrix for a group of creative souls. We played poet games. Here's a few if you'd like to try your hand:
- Translate a poem from a foreign language you don't know. Feel the words and come up with your own, then check it out against the translation after.
- Channel-translate a poem of one poet through another. Write a Shakespeare sonnet in the voice of Dr. Seuss. Turn Mary Oliver into e.e.cummings.
- Write a poem based off a title you steal from a newspaper headline or a snippet of overheard conversation.
- Do haikus about bowling.
- Write an ode to an everyday object, a la Pablo Neruda.
- Turn a recipe into a sonnet.
Happy poeting. Here's a beautiful piece by a man more known for his science fiction. Thanks for passing this one on, Marcia.